Thursday, October 19, 2006

Peer pressure

Alright...so someone told me I should post this up here instead of just emailing.
Update is at the bottom if you want to skip down.


So, I was talking with coworkers today...and somehow we started talking about salami.
I whipped out this article that one of them gave me about salami...and showed it to the other coworker.
He looked it over and started talking about how his favorite type was “soppressat”.
My first thought (which I did not verbalize) was, Isn’t it soppressatA? SoppressatAAA!!!
And then I started wondering if the guy grew up in Jersey. But no, he grew up in Long Island. But he did spend a long period of time in Jersey. He now has a house upstate, but also has an apartment in Hoboken.

I could picture Emily correcting him and Noah coming to his defense.
I couldn’t help laughing to myself.

For those of you who didn’t overhear Noah and Emily discuss the ending vowels of Italian cuisine (I don’t know how you couldn’t have), I’m sorry (though I’m not quite sure what for).

I think maybe I’ll interrogate him tomorrow.


-----Update-----

So I talked to him today...and he said that he lives in a largely Italian neighborhood. So when he goes to an Italian market and sees people ordering mozzerella, they never say the vowel at the end. Mozerell. Prosciut. Soppressat.
Now, he admitted that he doesn't know if that's just because the guy behind the counter is off getting the stuff before the customers finish their word...or if they're just being sloppy with their end vowels like how a lot of French people get sloppy with their vowels...but he said...when he goes, he just orders like the people around him.

And yes...he's talking about Hoboken. Not upstate.

I don't know. What do you think? Conformist?
Sell-out?
Supporter of the evolution of language?
Underminer of the stability of society?

All I know is that I'll be tempted to call Emily, "Emil" from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home